Followers

Monday, May 17, 2021

More Birds To See

I had the opportunity to join the Coulee Region Audubon Societies Bird Walk in Myrick Marsh. With heads up and ears open a group of about 12 walked the trails. Our leader Dan listened and pointed out numerous birds in the water and the trees. Me, with my little hand held camera, was able to capture a couple of them to paint.

I Dare You 5x7

Red Winded Blackbird

Pretty common and very bold. This one had that I dare you look. They are very territorial and I unfondly remember one that always swooped down on me every time I would walk to my friend Anne's house when I was in high school. They kinda traumatized me but gained my respect.

Nesting 8x10

Canada Geese

Very common and sometimes their gathering become a nuisance, they can generate a lot of poop. There were many in the Marsh tending to their offspring in the waters. Easy to get lots of photos and fun to watch.

 If you've never been on a bird walk remember to wear sturdy walking shoes, it's easy to trip over stuff since you're always looking up and binoculars to get a close up look, if you're in luck. I take my camera since it has a good zoom feature and if I lucky enough I'll also get a photo. It's a beautifully quiet walk in the woods since everyone is trying to listen and not talking.

I also went on the hike at Hixon Forest and manage to get an interesting photo of a nuthatch mid air returning to it's tree hole. 

 

photo of Nuthatch


Questions or perhaps to purchase one of my original unframed oil paintings on panels, please contact me at cshoreartwork@gmail.com. Thanks for viewing.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Now Appearing at Elmaro

Feathered Friends,  original oils by Colleen Shore May 1 through May 28, 2024 Elmaro Vineyard and Winery  in Trempealeau Wisconsin To honor ...