Followers

Sunday, October 25, 2020

Invite to Paint

My friend Karen reached out to me on one of those beautiful fall days with an invitation. Enticing me with news of golden leaves surrounding the valley she lives in, named End of the Rainbow.

I couldn't resist the chance to reconnect and share a moment with her plus an opportunity to paint plein air. The timing was perfect, the sun was just right, the trees were shimmering. After a few strokes onto my canvas I discovered I had no medium for thinning my oils. I conferred with my host for any walnut oil she might have, since I'd used that before and settled on olive oil. Why not, what did I have to lose, I was here to paint.

End of the Rainbow 
As it turns out, it wasn't the best choice. The paint did glide on smoothly and I finished my painting later to find out that this moment in time may be fleeting. The paint may never dry. Now we wait. 

As life goes, I don't regret or want to dwell too much on the misfortune of my artistic efforts. It was a beautiful day with a friend and I have a wonderful shared memory.

Farm Games 5x7

Tractor Days 8x10

As always I took lots of photos of the farm for my studio paintings. Karen puts a lot of artistic flair in the landscape. I found her collection of artifacts along a post on her porch reminded me of a totem of  interesting objects she had collected. My favorite is the Picassoeske painting she displays in the chicken coop. I guess it isn't so bad being detained if you have art to look at.

Rural Totem 5x7

Cooped Up 8x10

Red seems to be a common thread is the rural landscape. I'm just drawn to painting them.

Tree House 5x7

Barn Dance 11x14

After a lovely day with a great friend and a lesson learned.

Man plans, Goats laugh 8x10



1 comment:

  1. Your brush strokes captured End of the Rainbow Valley so beautifully...

    ReplyDelete

A Wise Old Owl

 From skilled predators, to their impressive eyesight and hearing abilities, these avian marvels have been thought to be intelligent creatur...