Followers

Sunday, November 15, 2020

Brice Prairie and Beyond

My creative process to capture the beauty in the area I live in is supplemented with learning more about this place called home. This grouping depicts Brice Prairie here in Onalaska, on the bottoms of the bluffland. Defined by the Black River and Lake Onalaska, the area once farmland, is now more country suburb.

Swan Family Search 8x10

Searching on the internet for what makes Brice Prairie special I came across a listing of an Indian Burial ground. They said it had no markers, just a vacant lot. We searched from the information provided and I think I know about where, but could not confirm. Here's a painting of the approximate area down by Fred Funk Landing and the beautiful view we can share with them now. The burial consisted of several families most who had lost their loved ones from the influenza outbreak of 1918. 

Retreat on the River 8x10 

Another favorite spot is Lytle's Landing which leads adventurers to a paddling route or a connection to the Great River Bike Trail. Small getaway cabins still line the Black River shores.

Pining for a Picnic 8x10 

Red Pines Restaurant the perfect local hangout for dinner and a date. I miss the Sunday Bloody special and Trivia nights. It was something that got us through the winter. Heard they were closed again for COVID. Once things are over I'm hoping they have a seat for us.

Burr Oaks Return 8x10
Milk Weed Maze 8x10 

Brice Prairie Walkway 5x7

A more recent new neighbor is the Upper Mississippi Wildlife Refuge office in Onalaska. They offer a beautiful nature and educational center with restored prairie surrounding them.

I think the last thing I attended, inside a building, was here, last March. Seems really long ago.

Questions or perhaps to purchase one of my original unframed oil paintings, please contact me at cshoreartwork@gmail.com. Thanks for viewing.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tonight's the Night-Cribbage Trempealeau Hotel

 Tonight, Thursday, April 18 I will try to defend my title of Cribbage Champ on April 4. Each week a winner is declared and I got pretty luc...