Followers

Wednesday, June 23, 2021

Unique Perspectives

Hanging out on the street and ambling down alleyways may be seemly to some. I found it to be the subject matter of my next paintings. Downtown La Crosse is my old stomping grounds. As a student of art at the University, years ago it was a ritual to head downtown with friends for some fun.

So many of these alleys and buildings still exist from my early days of learning to love the Coulee Region. They offer a challenge of creating perspective, working on vanishing points and lots of strong shadows and textures.

Brick Alley 8x10
Following are some of the photos of the process with guidance from my mentor. Starting with just values in shades of gray then working into color and correcting as I continue.


Starting tp add some color

Just the lights and darks

Original photo

Here's a few more. Thanks again for fresh eyes from my mentor, learning I don't have to include everything my camera picks up. It seems obvious but its some times hard to edit ourselves.

Backyard Parking 8x10

Alley Secrets 8x10

Street Cafe 8x10

Last one a homage to Grounded Coffee Cafe where they have once a month artist exhibits on the patio.

I'll have a few more street scenes next week.

Questions or perhaps to purchase one of my original unframed oil paintings on panels, please contact me at cshoreartwork@gmail.com. Thanks for viewing.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Something to Crow About

Thanks for the warm reception at Elmaro. My show will be up until May 28.  Selfie Awareness 11x14 oil cradled panel SOLD Something to Cro...