Followers

Wednesday, July 13, 2022

Folk Life La Crosse at Historic Hixon House

Gideon's Grand Entry 8x10 oil 


I'll be joining other local artisans to show how I create my art this Sunday, July 17 from 10-3. This free event will be held on the grounds of the historic Hixon House at 429 7th St. N. in downtown La Crosse. Museum tours of the home will also be available for a $6 fee.

Did you know? 

The Hixon House was finished being built 1858. During that same time artists were headed outside to paint because of a new development, the 1841 invention of the paint tube. American artist/inventor John Goffe Rand transported artists from pig bladders and glass syringes to the collapsible metal tube, allowing artist to take their hand made oil paint with them outside to create. ( I like to think of this as the cell phone of their decade). 

This invention was one of the events that lead to the birth of the Impressionist Movement 1860-1886, of capturing the light and reflecting the world we live in.

Fortunately, Winsor-Newton, art supply manufacturer acquired the patent and thought to add the screw cap as a final touch. Good thinking on their part I'd say.

I'll be painting plein air much like the impressionists of the late 1800's. You'll find me with my pochade box and easel by the gardens.



Thanks for viewing Colleen Shore

 



 


 


 

 

 



 



 


 


 


 


 


 

 


 



 


 



 


 
 
 
 
 




No comments:

Post a Comment

Tonight's the Night-Cribbage Trempealeau Hotel

 Tonight, Thursday, April 18 I will try to defend my title of Cribbage Champ on April 4. Each week a winner is declared and I got pretty luc...