Welcome to my show From Great to Grand
The show title was partially inspired by trips I’ve take to the North Shore of Minnesota. More specifically the areas around Grand Marais. As a member of the Outdoor Painters of Minnesota I joined fellow artists for a week long adventure painting at Sugarloaf Cabins in Schroeder, MN. It allowed me to paint from Grand Portage to Grand Marais and many beautiful spots along the way.
The other inspiration The Great River Road is the area around where I live and play. From Lansing, Iowa through La Crosse, Wisconsin up to Winona, Minnesota. I never tire of the subject matter. Each adventure out to paint keeps me busy in the field plein air painting and in my studio.
In addition, I've created a collection of still lives focusing on Good Eats from around the area. After taking oil painting classes and exploring new techniques with Casey Wicka at the Winona Arts Center I couldn’t resist the temptation to explore this subject matter more through my painting.
Painting is my passion as a visual artist. Working in oils in my Town of Onalaska home studio and outside plein air. I continue to experiment by incorporating cold wax and creating different surfaces and techniques. I’m dedicated to creating art inspired by my surroundings in order to connect and engage others to embrace the extraordinary.
Inquiries cshoreartwork@gmail.com
Follow me on Facebook page CShore
August 5 through September 27
at Blue Heron Coffeehouse in Winona.
A little bit about my paintings-
The first two are my most recent paintings, that I wanted to capture for the exhibit. Hollow Rock is a popular subject matter for many artists, located just north of Grand Marais. I found it a bit difficult to find, but persistence paid off. You gotta love to paint rocks because pretty much everywhere you look they define the landscape.
I challenged myself with a larger 16x120 painting in oil and cold wax of rocks along the shore. I had done many 8x10's to explore the colors of the rocks (all have found homes) and felt it was time to expand the subject matter in my studio.
| Untempered 11x14 oil framed $350 |
Venturing into Grand Marais, for the first time during my stay at the cabins, I captured the scenes with my camera. I was a bit overwhelmed with all the views along artist point and the harbor. So I spend time exploring along the paths and taking in the views for future reference photos to paint from in the studio.This is where so much happens during the Plein Air Grand Marais festivities and I needed to just absorb the influences. Even spent some time and money at the fantastic Joy & Company artist supply store. Susan was more than happy to shop along and share her favorite items.
The fourth of these painting below, A Day in the Harbor, I was able to settle in at the park to plein air paint. I spend the day painting this scene and the local flowers while enjoying sunshine and people that stopped to chat.
| Rocky Lighthouse Path 11x14 oil on cradled panel $350 |
| Artists View Grand Marais 11x14 oil on cradled panel $350 |
| Grand Marais Harbor 11x14 oil on cradled panel $350 |
| A Day in the Harbor 11x14 oil on cradled panel $350 |
Walking around Grand Marais, exploring the town and all of it's connections to the lake I came across these weathered buildings I found interesting to paint back in the studio.
| Fish Market Parking Only 8x10 oil framed $150 |
| Another Day Ashore 8x10 oil framed $150 |
| Waiting to Launch 8x10 oil framed $150 |
Winona, Minnesota
Along the Great River Road. The original oil paintings shown below were inspired by my travels across the Mississippi River along Hwy 14 Bridge crossing from Wisconsin to Winona, Minnesota.
Life along the river in Winona captured through boathouses, bridges and and the iconic geography of the bluffs, specifically Sugarloaf. From beach area in the summers to the ice climbing in the winter months.
| Down Under Winona 8x10oil framed $150 |
| Winona Boat House 16x16 oil on cradled panel $525 |
| Bridge to Winona 11x14 oil framed $350 |
| Lake Winona 24x12 oil and cold wax on cradled panel $595 |
| Ice Flow 24x12 oil and cold wax on cradled panel $595 |
| The Other Way 8x10 oil framed $150 |
Trempealeau, Wisconsin
More along the Great River Road. The original oil paintings shown below were inspired by Trempealeau Refuge and Prairies to the Village of Trempealeau. In addition some of y favorite places to enjoy along the river.
| Trempealeau Ridge 12x24 oil and cold wax on cradled panel $595 |
Marsh Grasses 18x18 oil and cold wax on cradled panel $595
|
| Refuge View 12x24 oil and cold wax on cradled panel $595 |
| Prairie Smoke 18x18 oil and cold wax on cradled panel $595 |
| Wild Lupine 18x18 oil and cold wax on cradled panel $595 |
| A Day Flows by at Cat Daddy's 16x16 oil on cradled panel $525 |
| Music on the Mississippi 16x16 on cradled panel $525 |
More along the Great River Road. The original oil paintings shown below were inspired by the many places I hang out in La Crosse and Onalaska along the river.
![]() |
| Copeland Connection 16x16 oil on cradled panel $525 |
| Riverboat Resting Spot 18x18 oil on cradled panel $595 |
| Big Blue Bridge 18x18 oil and cold wax on cradled panel $595 |
| Up River Ride 8x10 oil framed $150 |
| Morning at the River 8x10 oil framed $150 |
| Goose Island Retreat 8x10 oil framed $150 |
The Overlook on Hwy 35 in Onalaska. Always a great subject matter shared by many.
| Times Changing 11x14 oil cold wax on cradled panel $350 |
| On the Edge 11x14 oil on cradled panel $350 |
| Triumvirate of Lake Onalaska 12x16 oil and cold wax on cradled panel $395 |
| Over the Blue Moon 12x16 oil and cold wax on cradled panel $395 |
| Good Morning Sunshine 12x16 oil and cold wax on cradled panel $395 |
| Sunset over the Lake 11x14 oil and cold wax on cradled panel $350 |
| Interstate Connections oil framed $350 |
La Crescent, Minnesota
More along the Great River Road. The original oil paintings shown below were inspired by my travels across the Cass Street Bridge over Mississippi River into La Crescent and down to Brownsville. Minnesota.
One of my favorite sites is Apple Blossom Overlook Park with its panoramic view of the Upper Mississippi Valley. From spring or fall as depicted in my two paintings below or you can catch a wonderful sun or moonrise there too.
Just down river I always go to the Brownsville Overlook in early November when the Tundra Swans show up in the 1000's.
| For Miles and Miles 8x10 oil framed $150 |
| Last Days of Fall 11x14 oil framed $350 |
| Time to Feast 11x14 oil framed $350 |
From along the Great River Road. The original oil paintings shown below were inspired by my travels down river with a unique free 12 car ferry ride at Lansing along The Great River Road. Bridges connect us to neighboring states all along the Mississippi River. There are several I need to cross in my ventures up and down, just get to the other side. When a bridge is down or closed many have to drive some distance for the next crossing.
In the case of the 100 year old Black Hawk Bridge at Lansing, IA, replacement project due to be completed in 2027, some wise people arranged a car ferry to keep the local economy going on. I'm sure it still had it's inconveniences especially due to weather. The little red boat was moving ice sheets out of the way, that impeded the ferry crossing the river in Spring. I had the chance to take the ferry coming back from Dubuque, approaching Lansing to cross back over to Wisconsin. Lucky me I had some new vantage points to capture for my paintings in the studio.
Check out the videos online of the demolition by KTTC Tv and locals.. Quite the explosion.
| In with the New 8x10 oil framed $150 |
| Approach to Lansing 8x10 oil framed $150 |
| Breaking Ice 8x10 oil framed $150 |
| Iowa Great River View 11x14 oil framed $350 |
Some Good Eats along the Way
Beside paintings featuring Grand Marais areas and stops along the Great River Road I explored the subject matter of still lives. As a tribute to my host Colleen and Larry Wolner owners of Blue Heron Coffeehouse I created these paintings of some of my favorite experiences at their restaurant.
| Blue Heron Breakfast 11x14 oil framed $350 |
| Wakeup Winona 8x10 oil framed $150 |
| Ready to Open 8x10 oil framed $150 |
| Morning Muffins 8x10 oil framed $150 |
Another local venue Two Fathoms Brewery in Winona
| Three's Company 8x10 oil framed $150 |
| Mary's Bloody 5x7 oil framed $150 |
Enjoy more of my still lives from Elmaro Vineyard, Ecker Apple Farm, Red Pines Cafe, Jule Coffee House, Trempealeau Hotel and a place in Italy with my Good Eats display from August 5 through September 27. Can you place the location?
| Ready for the Hootenanny 11x14 oil framed $350 |
| Pinot and Pinks 8x10 oil framed $150 |
| Breakfast Time at Red Pines 8x10 oil framed $150 |
| Winning Burger 8x10 oil framed $150 |
| Afternoon Delight 11x14 oil framed $350 |
| Italian Pantry 11x14 oil framed $350 |
| Breakfast at Poggio's 8x10 oil framed $150 |
| Time for Drawing 8x10 oil framed $150 |
Plus a few more.
| On the Board 8x10 oil framed $150 |
| Begonias 1 6x8 oil framed $150 |
| Begonias 2 6x8 oil framed $150 |
| Nice Ice 5x7 oil framed $150 |
Inquiries cshoreartwork@gmail.com



No comments:
Post a Comment