Followers

Sunday, March 17, 2019

Colored Pencil Practice

Eastern New Mexico
I worked with colored pencils this week, specifically Berol Prismacolor. They offer an Art set of 60 colors which gives me a full range of color options. I've had the set for awhile and it was fun to come back to them. There is so much more information on how artists are using them. So glad they are sharing their trials and tribulations.






I selected some images from the hundreds of photos I took during my southwest trip.
Palo Duro Rocks Before

The landscapes and colors are so different from what I'm use to.

The rocks gave me a chance to loosen up with my drawing and I applied some Gamsol minerals spirits to the second image to dissolve the pencil marks and be able to compare the differences myself.


Palo Duro Rocks After
Palo Duro Canyon, Texas
This landscape in Texas I heavily used the Gamsol. It seams to enrich colors.
One of the sites along the trails in Palo Duro is the Cowboy Dugout. A typical residence of early setters in the area. The textures of the building materials was intriguing to draw,



I started out with just a number two pencil and eventually added some color.





I thought it would be fun to capture the stages of the drawing. As an artist it is hard to know when to quit. There's a point in most drawings when you find yourself hating the results and then you work some more.









By being able to view the changes I can now reflect on my choices.

Palo Duro Cowboy Dugout

I still think I could do more. Sometimes it's just best to walk away for awhile.



Note to self -work on photographing artwork.

No comments:

Post a Comment

We're Here!

 The Humming birds and my show Feather Friends at Elmaro. Hope you can make my opening reception Sunday, May 5 from 1-4   Color of Red ...