Followers

Sunday, March 10, 2019

Back to the Drawing Board

Being able to draw is basic for creating artwork. 

Keeping a sketchbook lets you jot things down for future reference or something to go back to and refine in the studio. I started the new year with a sketchbook which I took with me on my winter getaway to the Southwest USA along with some pencils and colored markers. Drawing regularly is one of my goals to make me a better artist. I'm sharing the first pages of drawings to get a baseline that I can come back to and review. To see if I'm getting better or revisiting some different styles that I try.



Typically I've been very realistic in my attempts and want to loosen up. Drawing will help me with my observational skills.

At Monahans Sandhill State Park in Texas the large dunes are pretty plain to draw. The only interesting parts are the footsteps and the few plants that grow in them.






My first attempt at loosening up, plus I couldn't resist some color.





We arrived at Big Bend National Park, every vista had a different mountain range.













Lots of textures and rock formations. Very challenging.

Time to loosen up again and get into some color on a Cottonwood tree.

Personally my favorite, a simplistic landscape with pops of colors. Still wondering if I should add more or call it done. This is always a hard decision. What I have to realize is, it isn't that precious, and take it to the next level.
Just liking the graphic simplicity.
Harder than I expected with the medium I was using.
Moving on to the Saguaro Desert near Tucson, Arizona.There were hundreds of cactus going up into the mountains.
Tucson garden, lots going on and I maybe overdid it with the color. A real riot.
Back to trying a more simple attempt at plants.
Plus had to try the family pet. Gotta be quick, they don't stay still for long.












Finally started to really loosen up with the mountain range at Picacho Peak State Park in Arizona. Liking the simplicity, already feel like I'm improving, with confident lines.


Just had to try a cactus, not easy with all the spiny things.
Another attempt at fast and loose.
The scenery changes here, to Riverbend Hotsprings Spa.



Next stop Palo Duro Canyon State Park. You can always find something to draw, all you have to do is look in front of you. Here it's just a section of the arbor overhead. Maybe a little more shading will make this one pop.
Another fast and loose landscape as the sun is setting on the canyon cliffs.













A study in textures, as the junipers have such interesting bark.






Drawing conclusions?
Any suggestions or comments, let me know.

No comments:

Post a Comment

We're Here!

 The Humming birds and my show Feather Friends at Elmaro. Hope you can make my opening reception Sunday, May 5 from 1-4   Color of Red ...