Followers

Monday, August 19, 2024

Sugarloaf Cabins

My painting getaway up to the North Shore of Minnesota at Sugarloaf Cabins in Schroeder. A great experience to plein air paint, meet other artists and hear stories about Grand Marais Plein Air Competition. I wasn't in the running for the competition which let me relax and paint just to paint. My goal was to do some nocturnes and sunrises. These subject matters offer their own challenges and Sugarloaf Cabins offered a perfect environment to attempt my goals.

 

The shoreline was filled with rocks instead of sandy beaches, so I had a good work out on capturing boulders.

Rockin' it at Sugar Loaf 8x10 oil SOLD

Shoreline at Sugar Loaf 8x10 oil unframed $50



The sunrise, enhanced by the particles in the air from the wildfires in Canada. It only lasted maybe 30 minutes. I had to get up before the sun rose and get my palette ready. A quick paint and it was all over.
Sunrise at Sugarloaf I  8x10 oil unframed $50

I attempted the sunrise again, this time on a larger panel that was very slick. Always trying different surfaces for different effects.
Sunrise at Sugarloaf II 11x14 oil cradle panel $275

Another larger painting on a slick surface. Not much control for detail but sometimes that's what its all about.

Taconite Harbor 11x14 oil cradled panel $275

Waterfalls were everywhere. Still may do more on this view. All thought I like the freshness of the brush strokes. It's easy to overwork a painting. You may have noticed I didn't put in any nocturnes. My results were less than I had hoped for. I think I need to put a workshop on my list of to do's for 2025.

Temperance River  Falls 8x10 oil

After a little more work in the studio

 

Temperance River Falls 8x10 oil unframed $50

 

I captured so many great views on my camera for inspiration later. From auroras, waterfalls, Grand Marais artist point and lighthouse, numerous state parks and nature preserves. Watch for more to come.

 

Thanks to Outdoor Painters of Minnesota, Allison for her hospitality, and fellow artists and new friends Susan, Cathy, Kurt, Mike, Tom and Betsy. Will be watching for updates on Grand Marais Plein Air .

Questions cshoreartwork@gmail.com


No comments:

Post a Comment

Coming Up -Feathered Friends & More at The Nature Center in La Crosse

 Looking forward to having another display of my original oil paintings at The Nature Place in La Crosse. From October through December 2024...