Followers

Thursday, August 29, 2019

Woodcut Workshop

Bandages not required.

My husband and I took a day class at the Pumphouse on Woodcut Printing with artist Lynne Valiquette.

My husband who claims he does not have the artistic gene was on fire with his creation. A campfire!












I chose my design from a previous drawing of Bunny the feral cat.


These are just the wood blocks cut with our designs, you then make prints from these. I think they are beautiful keepsakes as is and will treasure the day of fun, learning what it takes to create this older hands on technique. Well at least we got a taste of what it takes.





Here's a few of the steps to create.

First the image is transferred using carbon paper. Millennials may have to look that one up on the internet. Then you black out with marker what you may want to leave uncut.




Next, using a different colored marker to indicate areas to be cut. As you use the tools (shown here) the pink color disappears as you cut away letting you keep track of your progress.

We got to keep our set of new tools as part of the class fees. Just love having new toys to play with.

And yes, she did have bandages provided but none were needed.



When you think you might have your woodcut done. You go to inking the surface and then place a sheet of paper over and rub the surface to transfer the  image.












You get to do as many proofs and return to carving as needed. You just have to remember you can't put back the wood you carve away so you go slowly.

It's great to get a better understanding of this artistic process that dates back the the first century in China.








Lynne will be exhibiting in two upcoming shows in the La Crosse area. Hope you get a chance to stop by these gallery shows.


Nine-featuring nine artists, including Lynne with her monotypes from Sedimentary Series.
Oct 16-Nov. 29 at the Heider Center in West Salem
Reception Sat., Oct. 26 1-5.


Pump House Show Jan. 6-Feb. 22, including Lynne with
showcase  Vessels her monotypes with embellishments. Reception January 10 from 5-7.





I will complete this blog with at least one of my paintings efforts of my husband.

I call it "Fishing for a Compliment"

So let me know if you like Eric's Campfire or my Cat Woodcut.

2 comments:

  1. Next woodblock should be marshmallows on sticks! Love the lighting on Eric's face with the sunrays shooting across the painting.

    ReplyDelete

We're Here!

 The Humming birds and my show Feather Friends at Elmaro. Hope you can make my opening reception Sunday, May 5 from 1-4   Color of Red ...