Followers

Monday, September 23, 2019

Goals and now new Goals

Here's my 100th painting which I attempted at a plein air workshop event and is not done.  I hit a wall after painting outside for several hours. My painting still needs more work and that I can do in the studio.

Richard Abraham draws in the image of bluffs along the river.
It's amazing the highs and lows you go through trying to create artwork. Some of my earliest works I look back on and I'm kinda proud of. Then halfway through my goal I falter and wonder why am I doing this. I realized it's kinda like golf. You have to play because you enjoy it. Every now and then you get that rush when you hit that ball and it does exactly as you want. That's what painting is like. Not all are successes, but you learn each time you put brush to canvas.


You can never get enough inspiration. Artist Richard Abraham, the judge for this year Between the Bluffs Plein Air event here in La Crosse, stayed an extra day to conduct a workshop. A wonderful opportunity to watch, learn and have him help us as we painted.





He steps us through his process and shares techniques

Check out richardabraham.com for his wonderful work, he's located in St. Paul, Minnesota and also offers classes and workshop in the cities. At Pettibone he does a quick demo.



Even on a cloudy day he captures a lot of atmosphere and light.
Each time I see how others paint, I absorb more. I think because I'm ready for that ahha moment and it clicks. But when you actually start the process for yourself, it can all disapate.





One point Richard made is to keep seeing the shapes of the color and stepping back to get the bigger picture.

I know I have to slow down in my painting and get past all the noise of detail that's not so important. I know it will be easier the more I do it.

Hopefully you got a chance to stop at the Studio Gallery at 1311 Market St. for the plein air finale on Friday. A wonderful venue, thanks to Dave. I took a couple of shots to share. You really can't enjoy these paintings unless you've seen them in person. The show was very short, but very sweet. Artists who came from out of town, would need to be leaving and taking their paintings home after a week or two of painting in the area.








A big thank you to the event volunteers of Between the Bluffs. Job well done bringing the best out of the artists in our area and attracting others to the beauty we live in.

Check out betweenthebluffs.com for postings and following for future event information.
Paul Bergquist demonstration








I had the chance to see part of Paul's demonstration in Coon Valley of Plein Air painting. He display the finished demo at the sho. It was stunning. He was the judge for the quick paint competition.

If you have a chance you can still see some  Plein Air paintings done by visiting artists from China at the Pump House til November.






Next Goal is to list paintings I have for sale, will blog that next I think by Friday if you are interested.

I will be needing to resupply my art materials such as canvas and paint and maybe another workshop is in my future.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Now Appearing at Elmaro

Feathered Friends,  original oils by Colleen Shore May 1 through May 28, 2024 Elmaro Vineyard and Winery  in Trempealeau Wisconsin To honor ...