When things aren't going as expected while painting, the situation sometimes calls for drastic measures. As was the case on my last day at Plein Air Duluth.
While painting a stream at Lester Park (thanks to Kendall) I was progressing as usual about an hour at my easel. I'd filled in the big shapes, squinting to eliminate the noise of all the small details. After adjusting values, I started on refining and so forth. Then I hit the ugly stage, as we sometimes call it.
I can usually push though and get back on track. I must have been hungry or hangry, or just tired from three days of painting because I proceeded to pull out my big palette knife and attacked my painting. I figured I had enough to show for my efforts at the evenings upcoming reception. So why not salvage the panel and live to paint another day and clean off the paint.
My self destruction turned into a self revelation. As I scraped off paint some interesting things started to happen. The bright blue underpainting was electric against the color of purple rocks, orange water and vivid green foliage. I calmed myself down and took another look, now excited about what was before me I added some of the paint from the mixed piles on my palette and called it done.
I'd like to hear your thoughts. I titled it Just Squint, a tribute to the lessons on how to approach plein air painting. We are often told to just squint at our subject matter. To simplify before adding the details. So I challenge you the viewer to just squint at this painting and tell me what it reveals to you.
![]() |
| Just Squint 8x10 oil |
Upcoming Show August/September
I hope you'll be able to stop in and see my show. Check out my posts about the paintings you'll see from along the Great River Road.
| I'll have over 100 unframed oil painting price from $50-$150 during the reception. Cash and checks accepted. |
Also Register for a chance to to Win an 8x10 commissioned oil painting at my reception.


No comments:
Post a Comment