Followers

Monday, March 30, 2020

Milestones of March

Sometimes You Wunder 5x7
I began my blog a year ago this March to track my creative process.

When I look back, I've been consistent on painting most days and have done 170 small paintings. That's roughly 3 paintings a week, since I retired in December of 2018 and picked up my brush again. Not to mention numerous drawings

My first personal goal was to complete 100 small paintings. I celebrated in October opening up my home gallery and found new homes for half of my works. This was truly gratifying as it funded my resupply of paints and canvases and has also afforded me the opportunity for future workshops. Although disappointed about artist DK Palecek having to cancel the March workshop in Dubuque, I'm still finding guidance and inspiration through those on the internet and from books.

As I challenged myself to trying different subject matters, still lives to sunsets, landscapes to wildlife, architecture to textures and pets to people. The later has been the big surprise for myself. Pet portraits has brought me 14 commissions. It's a challenge but one I strive for since it connects me as an artist to my patrons. 

Learning how to, why to and what to do in creating my artwork has been fulfilling. I follow a number of Plein Air Painting groups on line. I learned I'm not suppose to compare myself to others, but I see the shared stumbling blocks of some and I'm invigorated by the shared success of others.

I know that giving up is the only way to fail and will continue my path to progress. I do this for myself and know that what still moves me to paint are the beautiful things in this world. If all I do is share and find others who will enjoy my paintings, then I have succeeded.

My daily routine at this time during the corona virus isolation-

Get up early for Hot tub and coffee, listen to the birds and find my voice for the day

Studio time 3-4 hours in the morning, start or finish a painting, photograph and blog my progress. Listen to an audio book or some favorite music.

Lunch and  do a daily chore plus go for a walk or bike ride.

Afternoon nap and reading time.

Prepared Dinner, maybe have a cocktail then settle in for TV time or movie.

Retire early and read my book.


I'm lucky to have a routine established as the transition to stay at home was a typical day in my life. Painting is a solitary activity. What I discovered is I can paint while listening to books.  With downloading from our local library I shouldn't run out of self help art books and novels for a long time. I did make it over to Michael's craft store before they closed the retail section and hoarded a few canvases before my supply runs out. At my rate of 3 per week I can survive another 4 months. I guess there's always mail order.

There's always the option of painting over old images too.


No comments:

Post a Comment

We're Here!

 The Humming birds and my show Feather Friends at Elmaro. Hope you can make my opening reception Sunday, May 5 from 1-4   Color of Red ...